Breast Cancer Facts
Risk Factors that could lead to Breast Cancer
- Lack of exercise
- Alcohol consumption
- Late pregnancy or no pregnancies
- Diet high in fat (unhealthy eating)
- Environmental exposures
- Genetics – Only 5 percent of breast cancers occur through genetics (BRACA1, BRACA2)
- One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women.
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death among women.
- Each year it is estimated that over 220,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die.
- One in 1,000 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- Although breast cancer in men is rare, The American Cancer Society estimated 2,600 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and approximately 440 will die each year.